Friday, October 10, 2014

Nu-Goth, Haute Goth, Rivethead

Roses and Vellum and Little Corp Goth Girl recently did a post on dark fashion "stereotypes" featuring those fun illustrations by Trellia. I thought I'd join in too.

I first got into dark fashion in a real way (beyond band t-shirts) through the whole rivethead thing. I don't really listen to too much industrial (though I was listening to Combichrist today) anymore, I still love the old look. Like the little description says, I never considered myself a goth. The clothing is pretty masculine, tough, grungy, futuristic, military--quite the opposite of the fussy, feminine, vintagelike goth fashion.


That's where I started dark fashion. I still think it's awesome, and it reminds me of Chicago of course. I've moved on though. These days I'm wearing what Trellia calls the "Haute Goth"--I watch the runways and can name many of the high-end goth designers. Also, with the benefit of living in NYC, I can get high end stuff for a sliver of the price. We still have the old-school department stores that actually sell designer stuff at a discount, unlike TJ Maxx and outlet stores that license the brand name and make it at some slave-labor factory for pennies. Oh, what a snob I am. Personally, I love how weird and creative it all is. I get too bored staring at the same old same old.



These styles are pretty work-friendly (despite the below drawing). You won't look wall-street corporate in a fussy pantsuit, but you'll definitely look professional. This is the look for art directors and eccentric managers (like yours truly).  Also Daphne Guinness (below), one of my personal style icons, who is basically known for being rich and weird.




Two styles that polar opposites in theory--the grungy, post-apocalytic rivethead vs the gilded-age goth socialite.

And finally, I have to say that I'm loving the nu-goth look that's been happening. The below description nailed what I like about this--a throwback to the classic goth look, and oh thank god the Japanese influences are almost gone. I love the big, flashy occult symbols that hearken to the old "satanic panic" from the 90s--a dark time in the history of dark fashion until Columbine. There are parts of nugoth I'm tired of seeing (because of tumblr), but for the most part, I'm a fan. I love the shapeless black things and the ninja goth styles too. If there're any "goths" trashing this, I'm going to revive the old "goth vs rivethead" pissing contest from my time.

8 comments:

  1. My old school friend started off pretty Romanti-goth and went more Rivet although since he is a dad now I think he just does the wear whatever thing lol. Daphne Guiness is pretty awesome looking! I'd probably wear more haute type things if I had the figure but I sure don't want to be on her crazy protein shake diet!

    zola Jesus is really awesome. I should really spend more time listening to her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never listened to any of those band. I'll check them out

      Delete
  2. Nu goth is so me nowadays, I and don´t care about elitists raving about it not being goth. Goth does need to progress somewhere, might as well be nu goth. I love how dark and comfy these outfits are. I am also still into the trad goth style, works best for parties. nu goth is saved for daily outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah nugoth is much more comfortable and wearable...it's hard not to like it!

      Delete
  3. "Nu goth closely resembles the 80s goth style" Exactly. In the 80s, there was no internet and no stores around to buy pre-made "goth" garments. Nu goth fashions are more casual, modern and I'm okay with it! I always dressed casual outside of the clubs with wide leg pants, babydolls, etc. as I worked full time and went to school and didn't have time to dress fancy. ;) I also got into darker fashion via industrial music and was confused when I was 17 and went to our local (now closed) goth club in vinyl pants, short hair and combat boots and was stared at like I had 5 heads. Hahaha!!! *Goes off to put on Too Dark Park**

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I too had the rivet head thing going on (I should of posted it but felt like the description was a little off because that look here during that ime was more accepted than it was in other areas, I guess. I do like the nu goth look a lot too. I am glad you posted this, its fun to see what others are putting up

    ReplyDelete