Wednesday, October 8, 2014

diy halloween costumes for goths

I'm still not sure what I'm going to be for halloween. My department has a halloween party and we coordinate our costumes. So I'm still waiting for the memo. I'm a DIY costumer, though they haven't been as elaborate as in the past. Here are some easy DIYs if you've already got a dark fashion wardrobe.

Devil: You pretty much just need the horns and some makeup. Red+black clothes

my costume in 2011


Witch: My costume in 2012--when nu-goths were all over the witchy look  (including me). This is also an easy-peasy look for anyone with an already-existing goth wardrobe. Just wear what you usually wear plus a witches hat.


some fake nails for the look too

Vampire: See above...just lose the hat and add fangs and some fake blood.


Gypsy/Fortune Teller: see above except add gold hoop earrings, 2 scarves: one for your waist, another for your head.  wear a bolero or vest, bell sleeves a plus, else wear a bunch of bangles. I sadly don't have any pictures from this diy.
gypsy



Masquerade goer: Your fancy goth look + a mask. This is my husband's costume every year. Sometimes he wears a cloak...sometimes a tuxedo. depends where we are going.
I think this is the first picture I've posted of the two of us on this blog...

Makeup looks:
These looks rely on makeup (duh) and can work with most of what you have in your wardrobe.

Mime: Black and white. There are some interesting variations on the traditional crow-style mime makeup. I'm actually this close to doing the mime look this year. I also can stay in character and not talk to anyone at the office party.
david bowie

Skeleton: THE look a few years back

Sugar Skull: Popular in the recent past. And you can wear all those flower crowns you've been saving.


Whatever you do, DO NOT dress as "goth" or "punk" or "biker" or whatever. I don't know what it is, but people will know you aren't wearing a costume. Halloween is for costumes.  Wearing goth clothes for halloween is somehow like wearing a halloween costume for a goth event: you aren't fooling anyone. You don't have a costume. Learn from my mistake.

These are costumes:


a "gothic" costume for halloween

a "punk" costume for halloween

My readers, whatever you've got in your closet is not.

Am I missing an easy goth-wardrobe halloween costume? I feel like I'm missing something...

9 comments:

  1. Angels? Dark, fallen...whatever. Cheap wings are easy to come by.
    Or Harley Quinn? Every goth has enough black and red pieces to pull it off, in fact, i'm thinking about a Harley Quinn costume myself...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, and black cats, let's not forget about black cats! :P

      Delete
    2. I don't know how I missed the cats! That's super obvious. Great costume suggestions. Harley Quinn is awesome...always wanted to cosplay as her.

      Delete
  2. My statement on each jewish halloween was to dress like "myself" since I was too insecure to dress goth in everyday life anyway. But it was only for school anyway. I also love collaborating bondage and fetish elements to costumes, for a "real" dominatrix costume XD
    I love your witch look and the devil look! You look mysterious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did that a few times in my preteen days myself. Incorporating real bondage/fetish/goth stuff really makes diy costumes great.

      Delete
  3. I love the costumes! Very jealous of those horns! The nails are amazing!

    I was in an op shop yesterday and a man asked me if some spiked belts would work for a punk costume. I didn't look punk or like an employee so not sure why he asked me! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work at a halloween shop and I had to wear a store uniform and didn't look goth/punk or anything and they asked me as well. I feel like people KNOW or something.

      Delete
  4. Ha! I love the comment about being a mime and staying in character. That is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perhaps that our clothing is very clearly not being worn as a costume, and is of much higher quality; we expect cheap shit at halloween. There's also a difference between how someone wears something that they would wear normally versus something they're not used to; you wouldn't think it, but a difference appears.

    Perhaps a spider queen? I certainly have enough spider-web print items.

    ReplyDelete